At St. Catherine's we focus on asking parents to support us with ensuring that your children know and understand the basic skills of reading, writing and maths. This is why we ask that each parent commits to the following:
- Listening to your child read at least 3 times per week
- Helping your child learn their weekly spellings
- Helping your child learn their number bonds and times tables
How much time should be spent on home learning?
If a parent/carer is working with a child, we believe the experience should be productive and enjoyable – no-one should feel over anxious about it. Sometimes children may need a break in their learning or to leave it and come back to it the next day. Frequent bursts of learning spread out over the week are far more beneficial than a few longer sessions squeezed into a day or two. The following are guidelines which are intended to help give you an idea of how much time is appropriate for each age group:
10 minutes per day, three times a week, on reading and a number activity
Between 10 and 15 minutes per day, three to five times a week, on reading, spellings and number bonds and a number activity
Between 10 and 20 minutes per day, three to five times a week, on reading, spelling, times tables/number facts and key skills
Years Five and Six
Between 15 and 25 minutes per day, three to five times a week, on reading, spelling, times tables/number facts and key skills
Each child is provided with a reading record (Reception, Year 1 and 2) or planner (years 3,4,5 and 6). This is used as a running record for your child's daily reading, as well as a place for teachers to record next steps in reading as part of their weekly guided reading session in school.
Spellings will be sent home each week and we ask that you help your child to elar this ready for their test the following week.
Each child has been provided with their very own maths pack which contains their school-home maths learning for the week (keeping it in one place!) and their ‘Maths Stars’ record card - a reward system for effort. To begin with, the following will be provided each week:
Number practice task
- Bronze/Silver/Gold Number Bond sheet – this tells you which number bonds your child currently needs to practice and learn. When you feel your child is ready to be tested, please hand it in to the class teaching staff
- Number practice task
- Bronze/Silver/Gold Times Table or Number Fact sheet – this tells you which times table/number facts your child currently needs to practice and learn. When you and your child feel they are ready to be tested, they can put it in our times tables box ready for Mrs Vincent
- ‘Times Tables Rock Stars’ Parent handbook and Log in details – the times tables the children are working on as a class each week are shown in the schedule in the parent handbook and the log in details enable your child to practice them in a fun way on line
- Key Skills questions - These are completed in class first so that you can see which type of questions your child has answered successfully and which ones they need practice with. The children can work on these at home during the week before they are tested on them in class again on Friday.